configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

On 17 Apr 2001, Rob Browning wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > So, how do I set up XFree4 to work? I installed it, but I don't
> > remember getting a chance to configure it...
>
> I hate to recommend this, but I've used the
>
>   dpkg --purge xserver-xfree86
>   apt-get install xserver-xfree86

;-)

> approach in the past.  Then it'll be sure to re-run its configure
> stuff.  Alternately, if it uses debconf, you could always do a
>
>   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

OK, this doesn't quite work, and nothing is set because of it. When I
execute this command, I walk through several screens until I get to
"select your desired default color depth" and enter 24 bit, the script
dies with the following:

        (in cleanup) Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at
/usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/ConfModule.pm line 476 during global
destruction.
dwarf:~#

And the link still pointed to my svga server.

> You can always test your setup as you tinker by running XFree86
> directly from the command line.

Running XFree86 -configure seems to go along alright until:

(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
  Configuration failed.
dwarf:~#

> Also note that the new config file is /etc/X11/XF86Configure-4, and
> it's *much* simpler than it was before.  There should be a tool that
> runs when you install the pacakge to help set up this file, but I
> can't recall the name ATM.

Finally, I ran xf86config and created /etc/X11/XF86Configure-4. The
problem is that I still don't have something I can use. I get a choice of
Yes or No for "do you want virtual screens larger than the physical
screen". When I say yes, all screens are larger than the physical screen.
This is not useful, and not what I had before.

If I answer No to the virtual screens question, the default screen is
sized to fit in the physical screen, but the mouse pointer thinks the
screen is larger, and still virtual, as the pointer doesn't activate what
it points to, but instead activates something higher on the screen,
depending upon where you are on the screen. This is, to say the least, not
useful either.

I set the X link back to the svga server and now it will not run!

How do I recover my previous position? I've got the correct config files
in place. What did I forget?

All help gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-