Text tool problems with xfig resolved

I finally figured out what was going on with xfig and the text tool,
thanks to some hand holding from Susan K.

The erratic behavior was finally traced down to an issue of focus. My
desktop has "focus on mouse click" for the focus rule, but xfig ignores
this and declares "focus follows mouse pointer".

I'm a touch typist who doesn't like to have the mouse pointer in my field
of view, as it conflicts with the real cursor location. My physical mouse
environment is one that supports this desire, as the natural repose for
the mouse is at the bottom of the pad. So, when I release the mouse it
naturally drops the pointer to the bottom of the screen, out of the way,
which also removed the focus from the text cursor still blinking on the
screen. Sometimes the pointer would remain on the screen, allowing text
entry, but most of the time it didn't. The clue was that sometimes typing
"L" would bring up the "load library" dialog box. This happened when the
mouse pointer strayed into the tool panel...

Anyway, xfig is the first program I've used that fails to honor the
desktop rules for focus. Since my ancient piece of junk package "spider"
follows these rules, it isn't some new feature that must be specially
coded for, so xfig must be doing something to circumvent the desires of
the desktop.

I guess I should submit a bug report.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-