Re: swapping partitions including /

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 10:33:52AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Anyone has a good solution to exchange / mounted on /dev/sda5 and /tmp
> mounted on /dev/sda9. The reason is space problems with /
> I've moved around partitions earlier using cp -a, but not / What
> about mounting/rebounting/unmounting / etc? What about the boot sector?
> Pointers?

There are no problems with using cp -a to transfer / to another partition.
What I would do if I were you is umount /tmp, make a new filesystem on it,
mount it somewhere like /mnt/tmp, cp -ax / /mnt/tmp, edit /mnt/tmp/etc/fstab,
and then reboot using a rescue disk with 'linux root=/dev/sda9'.  Then edit
/etc/lilo.conf, run lilo and you should be all set.  The reason I suggest
using the rescue disk is because I've never really been able to get LILO
working right without rebooting into the rescue disk.  YMMV, though.

Once you're satisfied that everything is working correctly, you can of course
make your old / into /tmp.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>