logcheck development

Hi all

[Please CC me directly, I am currently no subscribed to -devel.]

As some of you may have noticed, I uploaded a new, improved version of
logcheck to unstable. As the upstream maintainer of logcheck did not
send my any message (although I forwarded him many bug reports and
suggestions) in almost a year, I have taken logcheck development into my
own hands. Although this could mean that there will be 2 versions of
logcheck when (if) the upstream author releases the long-promised
version 2.0, I think it is important to work in logcheck. My current
improvements fixed some bug reports (such as double error lines in the
mails) and the last version introduced run-parts style .d directories
for logcheck rules. In short, this means that packages can start putting
files in /etc/logcheck/*.d and therefore bring there own rules. You can
read the details in README.Debian.
However, please wait until the next version of logcheck before putting
rules files in your packages, because currently I am not sure on how to
handle some details. At the moment I am busy splitting the big
logcheck.ignore file into smaller pieces for each package. Since the
Debian package uses 3 different logcheck.ignore files (workstation,
server and paranoid) for different default configurations, it might make
sense to have this possibility for package rules files too. The
motivation is that logcheck can be installed on home machines (where
only real bad logs should be sent to the admin) and on servers (where
some logs should *not* be ignored). Therefore I have introduced the 3
default configurations in a previous upload and I think is might be
usable.
The question is now: how should this method be integrated with the .d
directories ? At the moment I am thinking about workstation.ignore.d,
server.ignore.d and paranoid.ignore.d with ignore.d being a symlink to
one of them (as logcheck.ignore is now a symlink to
logcheck.ignore.(workstation|server|paranoid). This way, Debian packages
could bring ignore rules in files in
(workstation|server|paranoid).ignore.d directories and therefore
automatically benefit of the user's setting of the logcheck default
configuration. What do you think ? Is there a better way to integrate .d
directories with different default configurations ? I was also thinking
about handling this in the postinst of each package providing logcheck
ignore files, but this should definitely be handled by a dh_logcheck
script in debhelper. Please tell me what you think about this. I would
like to desing some scheme that will hold for quite some time.

best regards,
Rene