Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On 20010115T083834+1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > [ I dropped -mentors from the distribution. ]
> >
> > Stop CCing me on list postings.

Can't you read?

> > On 20010114T234721+1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > What about those with sid (me) who want access to potato and woody machines
> > > to test with weird breakages? (me)
> >
> > What's wrong with a chroot setup?
>
> On a total of 2 gigs? Not bloody likely.

I wouldn't do it on the 300 MB harddisk I have on my server.  But 2 gigs?
No problem.  It does not have to contain every gadget there is, and it
does not have to be permanent.

> > > Why in hell are you people so immediately suspicious of NMs?
> >
> > I'm not.
>
> Then why the paragraph below?

There is a difference between suspecting that a statistical one in n
(for a suitable value of n) may be a bad guy, and suspecting that the
one who's standing next to you is a bad guy.  I don't suspect any of my
cow-orkers to be crackers, but I still use xlock on my work computer.
Similarly, we may need to raise the cost of making an infiltration attack
by actually doing a check for all applicants, without suspecting that
any of the current applicants are rogue.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for the current setup.  If it
is, it's way down in the list of reasons sorted by priority.  But it's
something to be thought about.

> Basically, you have to package 2 things in an apt-able archive. And do them
> well.

In addition to "malaga", I had done "chase" in the months before my
admission.

                     Keep the Deja Archive Alive!
        http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html