Aesthetics of Debian (Was: I hear you)

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 17:39, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> [011127 17:14]:
> > > Any other recommends, how to reduce the quality of debian?
> But one of the advantages of debian, with which I could persuade many
> people to use Debian - many of the important advantages are not that
> visible that you can persuade people with it - is the robust and
> very fast boot-time.
>
> And these colors do not only look and feel  unprofessional, they are
also a
> large risk, as they tend to overwrite important output or because
> an wrong positive output in large colors gives an clueless user the
idea, that
> it started correctly and the problem is somewhere else.

I would very much like to second this. Should a feature be installed,
just because it is useful? Adding features increases complexity.

I am not a very good programmer, but a skilled user and above average
system administrator. Ease of use and easy to understand scripts and
processes is what I look for in an application or an OS that I wish to
use.

I think it should be possible to state one day: this OS is so good,
stable and easy to use, that we now refrain from modyfying it. ``If it
ain't broke, don't fix it.'' If it does the job reliably, don't improve
it I might add.

Each maintainer and developer is of course free to do whatever they want
regarding the complexity of their packages, but I would like a general
discussion as to whether Debian should strive to be "feature rich" or
"simple, robust and easily maintained".

--
Lars Bahner,
http://lars.bahner.com/

Nihil est sine ratione cur potius sit, quam non sit.