Re: Looking for Ryan Murray "rmurray"

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 04:06:37PM +0100, Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sylvain de Crom wrote:
>
> >I made some adjustments to esound, so that bug #114003 would be closed.
> >I would like to give my fixed package to murray, but he doesn't respond
> >to my mail (neither to mails from jc@jcb.yi.org)
> >
> >Has anybody heard something from him in the last 45 days?
> >

> Don't know about him. But I have dig some esound related problem
> recently and I noticed that esound-0.2.23 is out for a 'long' time now
> and still not in the unstable...

And doesn't have anything that interesting in it -- except for people sending
it SIGUSR1 (who?)

> As far as I see, ALSA-0.9 (ALSA-1.0 in fact) will be part of the 2.5
> linux kernel. And so, it will be the futur standard (replacing OSS).

ALSA 0.9 does not build on 7/12 architectures that ALSA 0.5 does.

> The problem is that now everything is running for OSS or ALSA-0.5 and
> not for ALSA-0.9.

ALSA-0.9 also doesn't work with a lot of sound cards, and likes to change
the API rather too frequently for something stable.

> * Use the ALSA-OSS interface
>
> Compile the module from ALSA-website. Do:
>
> modprobe snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss
>
> Problems:
>    o My SMP box freeze a lot when this is used (twice in 15min)

Which can be said for a lot of sound drivers.  This is a bug in alsa, not
in anything else.

> Problems:
>    o That's a lot of work in a time which must be as short as possible
>    o We will have to switch completely to one sound system to another
> (risky)
>    o A lot of untested patches have to be applied
>    o I don't know if aRts (KDE) has such a patch

     o esound will stop building on 7/12 Debian architectures
     o yet another fork from upstream
     o esound is likely to die from gnome apps in the 2.0 timeframe
     o esound is mostly unmaintained upstream

> Of course, I would propose to follow the first way. But, I would like to
> know what is the feeling of the Debian people about this !

using ALSA-OSS?  Sounds like the best plan at the moment...

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.