Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

    Branden> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:34:03PM +0000, Andrew Suffield
    Branden> wrote:
    >> The context is dlopen(), not regular linking. Anything that
    >> links normally should be using the non-PIC form of the static
    >> libraries and not including them in the shared/linkable object,
    >> AIUI.

    Branden> Exactly.  *Only* objects to be opened with dlopen() need
    Branden> to fool with xlibs-pic.  Anyone who uses that package for
    Branden> any other reason needs his ass beat.

Hmm, I was sort of assuming that you would have libsdl depend on
xlibs-pic rather than things that depend on using sdl in a plugin
architecture.  The advantage of this is that you can manage the tricky
versioning issues in one case (libsdl) and minimize the number of
people who have to get sonames changes, conflicts, etc right.

If you take this approach you would need to consider linking libsdl
both in normal and dlopen contexts.