Re: Darwin Streaming Server

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 12:34:56AM -0500, Shaya Potter wrote:
> case b) you have to always redistribute your changes
> this is considered DFSG free

Uh, "if you distribute changed binaries, you have to distribute the source
to those changes" is free; but "if you use, or even compile changed
binaries, you have to give them to me" generally isn't. Personally,
I consider that as an unreasonable restriction on use, but at the very
least it's an unreasonable restriction on private modification.

Also, the DFSG is a set of guidelines, not a set of hard and fast
rules. Just because you pass a pedantic reading of them, doesn't
necessarily mean your software will (or should) be considered free. Or,
at least, that was the consensus a few years ago when there were a couple
of proposals going around about making the rules more explicit.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt