Clarifying METIS copyright

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Sir,

I am an Msc. student at Bilkent University CS Department. We have been
regularly using metis for our work here and we are grateful for the excellent
software package that you have written.

It is quite likely that I will be using metis/parmetis for my Msc. thesis
and I would like to ask for your permission to distribute metis in
a larger distribution.

I am a contributor to Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org) and I would like to
make packages for METIS, hMETIS and ParMETIS. It seems clear that a non-free
license (by our definition of what is free software, GPL, BSD-like
licenses and Artistic are examples of the kinds of software that we
consider free) is implied. However, for metis it would be perfectly
satisfactory for the package to be just distributable along with Debian. Since
Debian reaches a lot of developers worldwide, it would be promoting use of
METIS and at the same time a most significant addition to Debian.

Of course, we would be very happy if you would provide the source code
under a free software license. However, considering the current case I request
your permission for Debian to distribute the source code and the binaries
of METIS family of programs. I will certainly include your notes about
re-distribution of METIS (as mentioned in the FAQ) in the Debian packages.

Regards,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa)
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Eray,

Please go ahead and distribute Metis. Sorry for not replying on your
earlier email, it was in my "todo" list.

George

George Karypis                           email: karypis@cs.umn.edu
Assistant Professor,          tel: 612-626-7524; fax: 612-625-0572
University of Minnesota,       URL: http://www.cs.umn.edu/~karypis