Re: make-kpkg and initrd

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:38, daniel desages wrote:
> >Make sure your kernel has ramdisk and initrd support compiled built-in.
> >I think, make-kpkg should look for this settings.
> >
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> >
> >and probably for
> >
> >CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> >
> >beeing at least 4096.
>
> I checked that, these options are already set.
> I also tried with with ext2 support compiled in or as a module (like in
> stock kernel's config).

Firstly the kernel-source package does not have standard kernel source, it
has quite a number of patches applied including patches to the ram drive code
and the cramfs code.  In 2.4.12 there is no need for a patch to the ram drive
code but the cramfs patch is still needed.

I tried to get cramfs going on 2.4.12 but never got it working.  Then I
discovered romfs.

Romfs uses less memory, gives a smaller initrd file, and works without any
patches.

You have to patch /usr/sbin/mkinitrd to call genromfs instead of mkcramfs
though.