Re: squid cache

    Alex> Squid is doing its duty fine here. I use http downloads and
    Alex> I have http_proxy set. I also don't fudge around with
    Alex> refresh_pattern.

hmmmm... interesting. That is what I expected here, too,
but... errr....  it never seems to work reliably, even when I have
heaps of spare cache space.

I don't like to play around with the refresh_pattern, simply because I
don't know if it is the first or last match that is
effective. However, I have resorted to playing with it because nothing
else seems to have worked.

I realized my latest test might have been flawed (there wasn't much
space spare on that squid cache partition), however, I freed 300 megs
of space (used by other files under /var), and it is still the same.

While I don't think this is my problem, what is meant to happen if
squid receives a new file and the cache is full? Will it discard old
objects in order to cache the new file?

What is the quickest way to find out how much diskspace is being used
by squid? Will cachemgr.cgi tell me? I have looked, but not found
anything (yet). du /var/spool/squid is too slow.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>