Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

Richard Kettlewell, on 2001-10-11, 15:38, you wrote:
> I think a superior approach (for any web server that Debian packages)
> would be to leave /var/www, /usr/lib/cgi-bin and so on as the default
> locations, and invent a new default location for non-default virtual
> servers.

Why not use 'real' virtual hosts? Ones that are not limited to beeing
virtual hosts for httpd. Why not create

 /vhosts/the.host.name/usr/lib/cgi-bin
 /vhosts/the.host.name/var/www
 /vhosts/the.host.name/var/log
 /vhosts/the.host.name/etc/apache

and so on. This could then be used by even more software than just
a webserver. With this technique you can provide shell jails for users
by adding /vhosts/the.host.name/{bin,usr/bin} with bind-mounting
onto this filesystem or create packages that provide special development
root filesystems (sid development within a potato system...).

My two cents,
  Joerg

--
  \ Joerg Wendland *joergland* ----------------------------------\