Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 11:53:59AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
>
> > > package, so rather that send you a message in BR language (which you
> > > probably can't read) you get the English form letter.  Overall, better to
> > > get a form letter in a language you can read, than a personally written
> > > email in a language you can't read.
> > well, that's what people wanted and asked for in this list...
>
> This is more a response to Vince, than Gustavo:
>
> How can you know what language is native for a maintainer, based on the
> package name?  Sending an english form-letter to <pkg>@packages seems wrong,
> and against what this whole idea is about.

english is all the time the right way. All maintainers can read
english mails, all doc and mailings list are in English.

A English letter to @packages.d.o or bugs.d.o is right.

> I would rather see support added to dpkg first, for storing this info(make all
> tools in dpkg(this includes dpkg-dev(which stores the data into the .deb) do
> this), then work on displaying this info.  I am very much against this hackish
> end-run around what are open-development tools.
>
> Adam, who is a dpkg developer.

Ok, But why the dpkg so quiet?

I ask the first time on dpkg@l.d.o at 11.06.2001 (maybe I send a
other mail before this time ...) and I get _no_ response.

I make some proposal (and IMHO the last one ok), but I don't see a
dpkg or APT developer with proposals, improvements, etc.

I only see some comments like: `I don't like this hack', 'This don't
work', 'Make sure people submit their translations in UTF8', ...

And a second thing: The collection of translation (and only this make
the ddtp now) is other thing, as the technical implementation in dpkg
and apt.

If we start with the collection foremost after the technical
implementation, we lost only time. We can make this parallel. Now we
habe some languages with >10% translated. If we now start the
implementation process, we have with the implementation some already
translated description.

But Adam and other dpkg/APT developer: some wishes

  - If you have already some thoughts about the technical
    implementation of translated descriptions, give us some hints,
    URL, etc.
  - Please read the proposals and make comments, make own proposals
    etc. And don't say only: 'This will not work this way.'
    If you have better ideas, talk about this!

The translated description is a important feature in the future! We
have a lot users from no english speaking countries. We need this
feature, and not in three years. Please make now thoughts and start
with this in future.

IMHO the last proposal is a good start. It need only little changes in
dpkg and apt, include translations in the deb file, use a central
override file and avoids big delays. Maybe you have some comments
about this.

Thanks for your work.

Gruss
Grisu
"Nicht geschehene Taten ziehen oft einen erstaunlichen Mangel an Folgen
 nach sich."             --   S.J. Lec