Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

    >> Preparing correct locale: Pick a locale you would use. I
    >> decided to use en_GB, you may use something else, the important
    >> part is the UTF-8 encoding.  1) generate the locale: #
    >> localedef -v -c -i en_GB -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/en_GB.UTF-8

    Drew> Isn't the "correct" approach to define en_AU UTF-8 in
    Drew> /etc/locale.gen, and run locale-gen?

I am not sure if this is what you meant, but my understanding is that
there is far greater support for the _GB locale, rather then the _AU
locale:

[515] [scrooge:bam] ~ >du /usr/share/locale/en_GB
136	/usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES
140	/usr/share/locale/en_GB
[516] [scrooge:bam] ~ >du /usr/share/locale/en_AU
8	/usr/share/locale/en_AU/LC_MESSAGES
12	/usr/share/locale/en_AU

ideally, if the message is not found in _AU, it should fall back onto
_GB, but I am not sure this is possible.

Experimentation shows that using en_AU often uses the US spelling of
words, where en_GB doesn't.

    Drew> mutt is cool that way!  No I can see your accents properly
    Drew> :) And some chinese characters too sometimes!  I just hope
    Drew> ncurses gets released soon with proper utf-8 support!

and (x)emacs!

How do you get gdm to log you in using a nonstandard locale? I can

- select a list of different languages, but not different versions of English

- in the configuration screen see a list of "default" locales, and
select en_UK, but en_UK is not a valid locale. I believe it should be
en_GB.

- in the configuration screen manually type "en_GB", but this doesn't
seem to do anything.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>