Re: How many people need locales?

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001, Santiago Vila wrote:
> For the purposes of determining whether or not "most users need to
> change the /etc/locale.gen file" Ben and I need an estimate of the
> proportion of Debian users using locales among all Debian users.

That would be most non-english-speaking users, I suppose.

However, if I relate this to #111008 (is this the right bug?), the answer is
easier:  I'd say the bug reporter is right.  Debian patches to the sources
CANNOT be allowed to break the translations; send them upstream and use an
"en" locale in the meantime if the fixes are serious enough to warrant it.
Even if only 10% of our users needed proper i18n support, that would still
be enough reason not to break the gettext support like that IMHO.

> I think we can consider the volume or the number of subscribers of the
> debian-user mailing list, and compare it with the volume or the number
> of subscribers of all other language-specific debian-user-foo lists
> combined. Is there anybody who can do this count?

That will get you a result with a tendency to "less people need locales", I
think. But it is useful if it gives you a positive (i.e. enough people need
locales), in that case.

> Can you think of another way to estimate the proportion of users using
> locales?

Ask maintainers of non-english-speaking countries what they know about their
local use base. I can provide you with an answer for Brazil: we need it;
People will use Conectiva just because of the better translation as things
stand, let alone if the system looks like it will not support pt_BR
out-of-the-box properly.

  Henrique Holschuh