Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:59:05AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:

> ># localedef -v -c -i en_GB -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/en_GB.UTF-8
>
> Isn't the "correct" approach to define
> en_AU UTF-8
> in /etc/locale.gen, and run locale-gen?

I was under the impression that locale directory has to be named
/usr/lib/locale/*.UTF-8 else X will not recognize it.
But now I realize that it concerns /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/*.UTF-8,
so you are probably correct (I am going to do some tests anyway)

> >Prepare locale:
> >create directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_GB.UTF-8
> >copy XLC_LOCALE from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8 into
> >this directory.
>
> Is this a typo?  You're referring to the same directory twice.
> (my system seems to work fine without this step, by the way)

No, source is en_US.UTF-8 and target en_GB.UTF-8. en_US.UTF-8
is already there, and this is a manual how to create locale
for your language (en_GB being an example)

> >If you want to input non-ascii characters, you need compose map.
> >Unfortunately, compose maps provided with xfree86 are somewhat insufficient.
>

> An alternative approach is to have something like
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "ru"
>         Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:menu_toggle"
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  (ru can be replaced with the non-qwerty keyboard
> of choice, I gather).  grp:menu_toggle here means the Windows key can be
> used to switch between, for example, qwerty and йцукен (russian) key layouts.

that works only for keyboards using groups, and unfortunately groups
are "tolerated", not "encouraged" by xfree86 developpers.
There was recently a much heated flamewar on cz.comp.linux about
the xfree86 4.1 removing all previous czech and slovak layouts
and leaving there only one "official", where you _cannot_ use
group toggle.

> Other keys can be used instead for the toggle key, I forget the exact syntax.
> This also works for switching to a greek keyboard, for example, or thai,
> or whatever, and can be used to access special symbols when using a western
> european keyboard, e.g. de qwerty when toggles gives @ł€¶ŧ←.  So it's
> like a kind of compose key.

But often users want to simulate national typewritter keyboard layouts, which
often have dead keys, and you need compose for that. (not for russian, though)

> >In theory, xterm should recognize utf-8 locale by itself, but
> >it does not work for me, so you have to use -u8 option:
>
> It works for me without the -u8 option (X 4.1.0).

yes, it does now... but I did apt-get upgrade in between :-)
who knows what was the reason

> >KDE (and all KDE applications) does not display unicode characters.
>
> They can display at least partially in Gnome, at least I can see russian in
> irssi, though only in the display window, not the input window.

it seem to be (for KDE) a matter of bad font choice.
At least in kword and kspread, if you specify font that has
no other encoding than ISO10646, it seems to work. But if the font
has ISO8859-1 encoding as well, you get question marks.

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 10:53:43AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:59:05AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:

> > >mostly in iso-8859-1 - there is nothing to be done, except of
> > >saving the message and converting it with konwert or iconv)
> >
> > I use recode for this :)
>
> konwert's a little neater about this - it can guess the encoding for
> certain languages, include Russian.

and it can transliterate it into another charset - e.g. into ASCII
(if your utf-8 terminal does not work for whatever reason)

> > Is it worth mentioning in the HOW-TO that the fixed font for UTF-8 is
> > -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1 ?
> > (although you don't need to specify it for xterm to work).  But other X
> > terminals probably don't support it yet.  Eterm doesn't.
>
> Most of the -misc-fixed fonts are Unicode now.

Yes, but some of them are more complete then others. This one has kana,
for example.