Re: Fonts working "out of the box"

This is not all.
At first, antialiasing is a very personal matter. Antialiasing will work in
all kde-ish applications without trouble, in xterm; but not in netscape,
mozilla, or other gtk-compiled stuff. I have a patch against gtk to allow
for antialiased fonts, but frankly it sucks :)
Antialiasing is a hack, to 'fix' bad fonts. The fontsizes you want to use
antialiasing on, depend on the size of your monitor, the resolution you're
using - lots of variables. This is not a trivial task.

It is surely not trivial, that much I understand. Fonts in X seems to be very, very complicated, and that is probably why it also works so bad. Noone seems to grasp the complete situation. That is why I think some font-policy could be a good thing.

Calling antialiasing a hack is wrong I think. But it should not be applied to all fonts in all sizes. Part of setting up good fonts on a system is configuring antialiasing to only apply to fonts larger than a certain size etc. This is also something that debian do not do.

If you're dissatisfied with the way fonts work, i guess your best bet would
be locating the packages you'd like to see fixed, make patches for config
files, and submit them as wishlist bugs.

Sure. I have problems with blocky fonts in kdm, and I thought that an updated XftConfig could perhaps solve it in my case. But I can not send the kdm maintainer my XftConfig because it belongs in X and also changes the behavior for all applications that depend on antialiasing, so it might as well break something else. So I thought that fixing fonts must start with first defining what the problems are, and where they best are fixed, on a global basis.

But perhaps this question should rather be brought to the X maintainers

Claes

Hämta MSN Explorer kostnadsfritt på http://explorer.msn.se