Re: ITP: mplayer - DivX/DVD/MPeg Player for Linux

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:05:30AM +0200, Sander Smeenk (CistroN Medewerker) wrote:
> Quoting Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk):

> > It does not "depend" on it, it just uses those dll's to play
> > video formats it has no native libraries for.
> > So I guess it can well go into main, and I suggest to coordinate the
> > effort with avifile maintainer about the location of those dll's.
>
> Hmm, wish it was as simple as we think :)
> I was a bit too impulsive with ITP'ing mplayer I think ...

an installer package that snarfed the source (current release or cvs)
and built a package would be useful, and probably wouldn't pose any
legal problems. mplayer-src or mplayer-cvs-src

compiling it is pretty straight-forward (it needs build-dependancies,
though - i had to install nasm before it would compile), just untar and
run ./debian/rules binary.

an installer package for the win32 codecs is legally questionable,
though.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>