Re: athlon-builder ... a sequel to pentium-builder

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:23:53 +0900
"Junichi Uekawa" <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:

> Glenn <bug1@optushome.com.au> immo vero scripsit
> > It would be great if there the optimisations could be expressed in the
> > packages that are built using it, but the only way i can think of doing
> > that would be having an extra control file field or mangling the filename
> > further.
>
> Yes, this is a bit problematic.
> I was thinking that maybe everything can be rebuilt using Athlon optimization, and
> I could make a local repository,

I would like to do that to :)

> but I could not think of any way to mark such a package so that
> it was built for Athlon processors.

There is already an "Architecture:" field in binary packages, what would people think of changing the format of that, so instead of it saying i386 if the package was built specifically for an Athlon, it could actually say Athlon (or other derived cpu type) ?

e.g replace

"Architecture: i386" with "Architecture: athlon" for packages built specifically for athlons.
"Architecture: i386" with "Architecture: i586" for packages built specifically for pentiums.
etc, etc

Glenn