Re: Referring what kernel-images to build to the technical committee?

>In fact, most of the options could be auto-detected from
>/proc/cpuinfo.
>
>It could also be useful as a hardware tester at install time:
>"Would you like to test your hardware (and get a kernel custom
>build for your hardware at the same time)?  This process will
>potentially take a long time."  (Yes, I realize this idea is
>a bit crazier than average.)

Even if your idea sounds a little bit crazy, this is probably the best
way at the moment to get a well suited kernel. But I'd rather see a
kernel where all options were compiled into separate modules so simply
choosing the right modules constructs the optimal kernel. This could be
done during an install or setup process. Sound crazy? Maybe now but how
about in the future?

O. Wyss
--
Please CC.