Re: (OT) Storage (8*IDE HDs) any experiences?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 05:32:31PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> - even if you had 2 power supplies...
> 	- most motherboards only has one atx power connector

True. And if you went for redundant PS's and a mobo that
supports them, the cost would go way up.

> - are the two power supplies properly doing load sharing...

Usually not. I imagine that's too hard and not worth the trouble
anyway: what you usually want is redundancy, not load sharing.
(I mean, if one PS dies, it will overload and kill the other one
pretty fast. Not a good idea. And if each PS can handle the load
alone, there's little point in sharing the load.)

I imagine the dangerous part would be when you turn the thing on
and it tries to spin up all those disks. You could put them to sleep
shortly after bootup and get the load down, but if PS doesn't blow on
startup it probably won't blow under normal load either.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key