Re: Referring what kernel-images to build to the technical committee?

    Herbert> Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> wrote:
    >> Confusion: Adding 8 (or whatever it is) variations of each
    >> kernel version is going to make it harder to select the
    >> appropriate one. There is some fraction of the target audience
    >> who won't know what kind of CPU they have, and we don't want to
    >> have to add to the Debian installation instructions:

    >> "Now open your computer's case, and locate the large chip with
    >> fans hanging off of it. Write down the numbers and letters on
    >> top of the chip. Now look them up in this table to determine
    >> the best kernel for your machine."

    Herbert> There is a file called /proc/cpuinfo you know.

Thats fine if you have already booted Linux. However, if you are
reading the installation instructions (as what Steve was saying), then
you probably do not have a Linux system yet.

Whats the point of finding out what the correct kernel is only after
you have downloaded it?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>