Re: 2.4.x Kernel, ECN And Problem Websites

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 01:52:09PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Why enable ECN at all, if all it effectively does is break stuff? AFAIK,
> > there's no systems out "in the wild" that actually use ECN to make a
> > difference. All that's happening is that peoples' systems are being broken.
> > Which is sub-optimal.
>
> With that attitude we would still be using 8bit systems with black&white
> monitors.

It may be a minor catch-22, but ECN is currently so broken, that only power
users should be using it, as the rest will just continue flooding the
netfilter list with "Netfilter breaks all my websites!". [OK, ECN isn't
broken, the routers are, I know, but same effect. ECN breaks stuff]. So, if
you're smart enough to know that you want ECN, and smart enough to
understand the consequences, you should be compiling your own kernel.

No way should we be pushing ECN to the masses. It should stay in the domain
of people like DaveM, until routers get fixed.

--
Daniel Stone
daniel@kabuki.openfridge.net