Re: Strange problems...

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> 1. figure out what uses insane amount of memory and apply kill and/or rm

So, this is a common response from a system that has exhaused both swap
and real memory? Any good candidates in a "standard" system? I don't do
anything now that I haven't done for years, so it's probably one of those
new "features" of Debian, right? ;-)

I couldn't get top to run while the "event" was occuring, and afterwards
everything looked ok ... hmmm, I do seem to have a problem here. Mem:
reports 64K with about 62K in use. So how come the whole 128 meg is not
being recognized? (it shows up on the memory test at boot)

> 2. buy more memory

Gag me with a spoon! For the last 5 years I've lived with a 32 meg machine
and never had problems. In recent years, however, I've noticed that it
gets harder and harder to shoehorn a zImage kernel into the required size.
Things get much worse and I just might have to become interested in
something more like BSD ;-)

I upgraded my machine to this, for me, gigantic size because VMware will
not run without at least 100 meg. (Hmmm, it's shut down, but it still has
all kinds of drivers installed %#&^@) This is the most recent addition to
my toolset, but it has been shut down for days, and was not running
durring the event (unless there is more magic here than I thought ;-)

> 3. upgrade to a 2.2.19 kernel

I should probably do that anyway...

Is there something specific that was fixed between .17 and .19 that would
bear on my problem?

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-