Re: configuring xf4, was Re: Can't configure 3rd button on mouse

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> >> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
>  > Looking at xserverrc, it seems exec is trying to start X without path
>  > information. When I add the /etc/X11 path things start up fine. I have no
>  > idea which process fragged this file, I've run so many different config
>  > attempts.
>
>  I have this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp $*

That seems to be the new location. My file looked like:

exec X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

I didn't have such a link as /usr/bin/X11/X so I used /etc/X11/X in the
command line, and it works. I suppose that /usr/bin/X11/X will work now
that I have created that symlink.

>  > If I answer yes to virtual screens all the display modes are larger than
>  > the screen, and basicly unuseful.
>
>  Just take a look at the "Screen" section of the XF86Config-4 file,
>  the different "Display" subsections look like this:
>
>  SubSection "Display"
>     Depth     16
>     Modes     "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384" "320x240"
>  EndSubSection
>
>  These can have a "Virtual" entry, which is what you don't want.

I'll take another look and see what I can decipher. On first glance, there
is no "Virtual" entry, but I may need to do some experimenting.

>  > Placing a link in /usr/bin/X11/X seems to fix that problem.
>
>  That's not a link, it's a wrapper provided by xserver-common.  You
>  configure it via /etc/X11/Xwrapper.conf (see Xwrapper.conf(5)) and the
>  symlink /etc/X11/X.

Well, maybe ;-)

My copy of /etc/X11/Xwrapper.conf is two lines of assignment statements,
and is not a script.

dwarf:/etc/X11# man 5 Xwrapper.conf
No manual entry for Xwrapper.conf in section 5

I have the 4.0.2 version of xserver-common.

Creating a symlink from /usr/bin/X11/X to the server seems to work just
fine. What is the "wrapper" supposed to do?

>  I still don't understand how all this happened.

Well, I ran dpkg-reconfigure XFree86 several times with an outdated
debconf, which generated errors. Updating debconf removed the errors, but
still didn't create any of the links it said it would.

I ran XFree86 -configure several times with the same error. (something
about the number of displays not matching the number of devices)

I've run xf86config dozens of times.

Somewhere things got fragged, and for some reason doing the "right thing"
didn't fix it.

Can you show me what your wrapper looks like?

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-