Build-depends on archaic versions of software wrong!

A couple package, sawfish and gnome-core, now have versioned
dependencies on gettext according to the changelogs; <= 0.10-35-17
and = 0.10.35-17.

These are not reasonable dependencies for Debian! Debian unstable is
0.10.36-1. It is a serious bug for both of them to have
unfulfillable build-dependencies. The fact that sawfish has a bad po
file that 0.10.36 rejects is a bug in sawfish, not gettext. Whether
the problem with bug 93198 is, dependening on an older version of
gettext is not the solution; try fixing the bug in gnome-core or
gettext.

In general, when libc/libncurses/gcc/g++/gettext/ some other
"build-base" package changes major versions, and it breaks your
package (due to a "feature" change), you're going to have to fix it
in your package, not try to depend on the older version.

Is ever reasonable to have versioned dependecies that a newer
version of the package won't fufill outside packages from the same
source?  Maybe two tightly coupled packages, perferably with the
same Debian maintainer, would qualify, but gettext and
gnome-core/sawfish shouldn't be tightly coupled.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and