Re: startx gone, how do I keep up, what did I miss?

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:06:11PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> How about something like a MOTD file for each distribution?  Then
> tools like apt could display the MOTD before (or during) package
> downloading.
>
> That way, when something is seriously broken, the MOTD could say, for
> example, "The current X packages break startx.  Use at your own risk."
> or something.

To be useful, it must be maintained promptly, and even then you won't
catch the first dozen people to download these packages. You're going
to have to make a lot of snap judgements about what's the fault of the
new download, and what's just local stuff or user error. People are
going to complain everytime you say it's X's fault, when it's actually
perl's, or anything similar. All it would take to add it to apt is
dropping "lynx http://www.debian.org/~bob/MOTD"; into the apt.conf file
and adding a query afterwords, so all we need is a volunteer to
write http://www.debian.org/~bob/MOTD and keep it uptodate.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and