Re: hosts, resolv setup?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 11:55:30PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> No hits at debian-user, trying debian-devel.
>
> Can someone explain to me how to set up /etc/hosts and
> /etc/resolv.conf for ssh (and similar programs) _not_ to search for my
> local network host names using the external nameservers in
> resolv.conf?

i hope i understand what you are asking...

> The local network is built up with NICs. I'm not using bind on my
> debian host. It's installed on the gateway, but I dont think its
> configured correctly. (Is bind really needed? In case, how to
> configure bind correctly? Pointers?)

djbdns. it is as easy to configure as falling off a log; espcially if
you are already familiar with djb's other tools. (yes yes yes i know -
it is not DFSG free, but dammit! it's good code!)

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

or you can always list a non-local recursive nameserver in
/etc/resolv.conf. (such as the one that your ISP gave you)

> /etc/resolv.conf:
> search my.own.domain
> nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.www # External name server 1

well, with that search line, you are *telling* the resolver library to
look up names with that domain appended. so change the search line.

> Anything else to set up?
> Eg.  /etc/nsswitch.conf:
> hosts:      files nisplus nis dns

only if you use NIS/YP