Why xdm default?

Hi. Just curious, has anyone considered making xdm not be the default when
installing X?

Newbie users seem consistently tripped up with this. If X isn't configured
correctly and therefore can't load it is a difficult situation to get out
of. Many (most?) users don't want to default in xdm regardless. The place
where I can see consistently wanting xdm is computer labs, and those are set
up by more experienced users. Most of us, I think, prefer startx.

I'm still running Potato, so if this is already changed please pardon the
interruption.

Cheers,

Robin