Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:43:53PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
>>
>> Let me toss in a rider here: the recommending DD becomes their AM.  THAT
>> will open the door.
>
>How practical would this be?  If someone is working primarily on
>-boot, but there are no AMs in the boot team, do we want to prevent

If they're too busy to be an AM, they're too busy to properly screen
somebody for recommendation.  If they have only enough time to prescreen
somebody, they should at least have the responsibility of being the
middleman to somebody who isn't so busy.

>the applicant from being accepted because there is no-one willing/able
>to take them through the process?  On the other hand, if the DD can at
>least encourage the applicant to get all their stuff ready and to show
>the AM that they know what they are doing and that they are ready to
>become a developer, a good AM should be able to process their
>application in <=2 days (at least that's my experience).

So then the issue is one of making sure that the NM fits in the <= 2 day
category before recommending them then, which is the entire point behind
the recommendation requirement in the first place.  Nothing gets solved
any differently by requiring the NM to have a recommendation that doesn't
get solved the saem way by making the recommender the AM.

>On the other hand, if Dale is willing to arrange this, there seems to
>be no reason why a sponsored applicant cannot complete the NM stuff
>with his sponsor as AM; this would be essentially the same.
>
>I guess that there's no reason why the recommending DD should *have*
>to be the AM, as that might prevent otherwise potential developers

I'm not too hot about the *have* either: I was thinking of "naturally
becomes".  Basically, the person recommending a NM should logically follow
through on that recommendation with either action or the responsibility to
ensure action is taken.  So basically, what we're doing is setting up the
AM/NM handshake as the first procedure rather than a randomly assigned AM.
The process then doesn't change at all for the NM.

--

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the