Re: Migration to Pentium?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:36:18AM +0100, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> I would like to make the suggestion to establish a 'i586' tree
> of the Debian binaries for Sid. This tree should be built using the
> appropriate compiler flags to benefit from the improved technology
> of the last years.

This is not the right way of doing things. There are near infinite
combinations of compile flags, optimizations, and build-time
configurations.

And like you, I'm someone who actually cares.

I'd like to use apt to build a kind of ports system, or in a Debian
sense, a "personal autobuilder". This system would use Depends and
Build-Depends to decide which packages need building, and would
automate the builds using your personal optimizations and CFLAGS.
However, I feel very strongly that such a system should provide a good
mechanism to control how specific packages are built. For example, I
want my X-Chat built without gdk-pixbuf, perl, python, or nls, but
with debugging symbols (let's say). My autobuilder should let me
maunually override the maintainer's default options for this pakcage,
and preferably remember these settings for future revisions. This
could be done by storing diffs against the standard debian/ files that
contained customizations of the rules file, control file, etc..

I'm thinking about starting to construct such a system.