Re: dpkg -L (was: Re: conflicts with libcap-dev)

hi :)

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 05:28:02PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> However, I think you can reduce the problem down to:
>
> How can apt-get determine if a package conflicts or not before it
> has even down-loaded the package, if it can't rely on the Conflicts
> header showing file conflicts.

one had to ensure the Conflicts: header to be correct.

at least for debian-native packages this can be checked
by dinstall/katie/whatever.
it could maintain an all-packages/all-files list and check that
no file is in two non-conflicting packages.

perhaps that is already done, don't know.

but you are right:
it would be very difficult for non-debian partys to keep their
Conflicts in sync with all debian packages.

perhaps we should provide a stand-alone conflicts-checker
(addition to lintian, whatever)
a list of all files in all packages should already be there,
for autoapt, right?

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________