Re: Partial support for international description of packages

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 05:09:29PM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva (KoV) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 06:53:28PM +0100, Hector Garcia wrote:
> > Hi all
> > -- The second one would be to place the Packages.<lag code>.gz file at
> > dists/woody/main/<lang code>/binary-i386. This way if you put at your
> > sources.lists file the line
> >     deb http://what_ever_mirror.debian.org woody main/<lang code>
> I like best this one, but I think it could be done by getting the
> LANG environment variable, or by looking at /etc/locale.gen

How /etc/locale.gen? I have en_US, de_DE and eo_EO in my locale.gen -
how is the program supposed to know that the system administrator can
only read English?

> We also need to think about the Packages.gz updating, what about
> if a new package or a new version of an existing package gets
> uploaded? It will have a new control file and that will overwrite
> the Packages entry won't it?

I assume his scripts take care of this. You'd almost have to reinvent
the .po format and keep track of old descriptions, so a new package
that had an old description could be uploaded without losing the
translations. Should a program that changes its description use the
old translation or the English version until a translator can check it?
Should there be some "distance" calculated, and only things within that
distance use the old translation?

> > What do you think? Can we do this? Are there any other options?
There is a problem that will have to be dealt with. If you read
kde-i18n, translators are constantly complaining that programmers
changed strings during a freeze/during a slush/gratitiously. If we
start translating Packages.gz, maintainers probably should avoid
changing descriptions unless neseccary.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
Recovering from hard drive "crash" - web page still down