Re: Quake and snes9x should be in main

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 08:40:54PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> > > You cannot charge money for GPL software either.
> > >
> > Yes you can burn you own cd with emacs + source and sell it, but anyone
> > buying your $100 cd can burn 100 copies and give it away to friends, or
> > sell it or nail it to the wall instead of buying a real wallpaper.
>
> No, it specifically says that you can only charge a reasonable media
> fee.

thats for the source code offer, the GPL makes no restriction on what
you may charge for the software (binaries), it just must be
accompanied by a written offer for the source code at a cost not
greater then that of media/shipping.

otherwise how could say redhat charge $60-70 for a CDROM full of GPL
binaries?

From the preamble:

    When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
  price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
  have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
  this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
  if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
  in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

from section 3, b.  which is what your thinking if i believe:

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/