Re: source dependencies for source packages

    >>> 2) Another solution could be to keep the build infrastructure
    >>> in one source package and then setting one variable from
    >>> outside to build the needed cross compilers:
    >>> TARGET=<cross-target> dpkg-buildpackge ...  Not sure if this
    >>> is allowed by policy, because it requires manual intervention
    >>> in the build process.

    Ben> I like this one. You could allow others to do "3" (I don't
    Ben> think it is needed though), but I think you should just
    Ben> support this.

     > I think it is reasonable to do this so long as you don't plan
     > on uploading the binary package.  I think that for packages in
     > the archive (with the exception of kernel modules binaries,
     > which I don't like but don't have better solutions for), you
     > really want to mandate that there is a well defined build
     > procedure that requires no human effort.

Maybe we could introduce that the name of the package(s) to be build
are passed as arguments to debian/rules and if none are passed, all
packages are build (so thats compatible with the old behaviour).

So

apt-get --compile source perl-doc

would download the perl sources and build just the perl-doc part of the
package.

Maybe thats helpfull.
                Goswin