Re: booting Linux 2.2.18 NFS-Root

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 01:08:00PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Branden> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 03:58:47PM +1100, Brian May
>     Branden> wrote:
>     >> I seem to have problems booting Linux 2.2.18 via NFS root
>     >> image. **2.2.17 works fine**, but 2.2.18 says "No NFS servers
>     >> available, giving up".
>     Branden> [...]
>     >> Any ideas what is going on?
>
>     Branden> This may not have anything to do with it, but IIRC, Alan
>     Branden> Cox merged the NFS v3 code into the 2.2.18 series.
I can confirm this behavior. It has nothing to do with NFS, just with getting
an IP address. Previous versions used to do lookup automatically as soon as
there was a support for DHCP or RARP compiled in. Now one should force it with
ip=both or ip=dhcp option.

> I am not sure if this was my fault <grin> or a change in the kernel,
> but now I have to use the "-i rom" option when creating the wrapper
> using mknbi-linux. It looks like the options the wrapper passes to the
> kernel disables it from doing the lookup automatically (I think this
> has changed in the kernel, not sure when).
I can't use mknbi-linux since I have a diskless Sparc X-Terminal. Now instead
of simply booting, I should say "boot ip=both". Rather annoying, to be honest.
Is there a way (like rdev or something) to teach kernel where to look for IPs?

> Oh, another thing, I keep getting warnings like this:
> Dec 27 21:15:34 pluto kernel: nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
> Is it OK to ignore these?
Yes, it's safe (at least that's what I did and wasn't punished ;-).
Alternatively you can install the latest version of mount from woody.

  --- Alexander.