Re: kernel-patch-int, non-us and non-free.

Robert van der Meulen <rvdm@cistron.nl> writes:

> Does non-us imply non-free ? Does non-free imply non-us ? (the last is a
> silly question, but if the answer to the first is 'no', where does non-us,
> non-free code go? )

non-us doesn't imply non-free. Some time ago it did, but that changed
(with potato I think) And non-free doesn't imply non-us
either. Non-use has non-free/contrib/main sections just like ordinary
Debian.

I think that while discussing cd-roms for potato somebody defined
non-us as "not legal to export from US, but quite legal to import and
distribute inside US". By that definition US-people wouldn't suffer
from putting everything in non-us. (But I would be nice to have
somebody confirm this)

I'm not really sure wher non-us is defined, but developer reference
sec 6.2.5 says:

  6.2.5 Uploading to non-us (pandora)

   As discussed above, export controlled software should not be
   uploaded to ftp-master. Instead, use scp or non-anonymous FTP to
   copy the package to non-us.debian.org, placing the files in
   /org/non-us.debian.org/incoming/.  By default, you can use the same
   account/password that works on ftp-master.

By that definition it is jut non-exportable stuff that goes into
non-us.