Re: scsiadd - lets you add and remove scsi devices on the fly

On Tue 28 Nov 2000, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:

>   http://llg.cubic.org/misc/
>
> I know, there are other ways to do it, but this is the easiest I know
> of.

The reasoning behind part of scsiadd is flawed; from the README:

: An example: Two hard disks are currently managed by the Linux SCSI system.
: This corresponds to the following mapping:
:
:   SCSI ID 0 -> /dev/sd0
:   SCSI ID 2 -> /dev/sd1
:
: Now we add a third drive with ID 1. The Linux kernel will remap its
: devices:
:
:   SCSI ID 0 -> /dev/sd0
:   SCSI ID 1 -> /dev/sd1
:   SCSI ID 2 -> /dev/sd2
:
: You see, that the hard disk with SCSI ID 2 has changed its device (from
: sd1 to sd2). As other parts of the kernel have not notices this, you are
: likely to damage both disks /dev/sd1 and /dev/sd2 when reading/writing
: from them!!!

In fact, the "new" disk with ID 1 will be mapped to the _third_ disk,
i.e. /dev/sdc, not /dev/sdb (why he uses sd0 etc. isn't quite clear to me).
There is only a "problem" when rebooting with ID 1 powered on.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/