Re: kernel depends?

Paul Slootman <paul@murphy.nl> wrote:
>On Tue 28 Nov 2000, Jan Martin Mathiassen wrote:
>> one thing that's been bothering me a bit lately (well, mostly while i was a
>> linux newbie, but still), has been the fact that when i apt-get install the
>> kernels, it depends on bzip2 only... not any of the tools it needs to be
>> *built*. should i file a wishlist bug against the kernel packages, asking
>> them to be dependent on bin86, libncurses4-dev etc?
>
>Specify what you mean with "the kernel packages". If you're installing
>a kernel-image package, then there is no way you're going to build the
>kernel with just that, so it would be wrong to make that depend on bin86
>etc.
>
>Now if you're talking about a kernel-source package, then please note
>that it in fact *does* depend on "binutils, bzip2, fileutils (>= 4.0)".
>That is all you need if you want to build your own kernel.

Actually, you do need bin86 for i386 kernels; one of the standard
questions I see on comp.os.linux.setup is "help, it says it can't find
as86 and I don't know why". kernel-source-* packages do suggest bin86 -
I imagine that they don't have hard dependencies on them because they're
Architecture: all. Making them architecture-specific would take up
significantly more space in the archives.

Of course, a lot of the problem is that people have heard that they
should use apt-get for everything, but aren't aware that it doesn't tell
you anything about Suggests:.