Re: ITP: task-cups-printing

In Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:27:25 +0100 Mariusz.Przygodzki@WAW1.siemens.pl cum veritate scripsit :

I think what you are describing is a misunderstanding of "Privides:" mechanism.

You can have CUPSYS to Provides: lpr,
and anything that requires something to be printed through lpr to
Depends: or Suggests: or Recommends: lpr

We can call it under a fancier name like "printing-method",
and get that name included into the virtual-package-names-list.text.gz
in debian-policy package.

What's so deficient about the Provides (and virtual packages) ?
What's the point in making an actual package that does nothing
than a virtual package that only exists in the head of apt?

> Thanks.I has just reviewed this discussion and I have headache.
> I have some proposal and please don't blame me
> if somebody is not happy from it.
> What's wrong in following proposal (this is only theoretical game):
>
> 1. We have standard package task-printing.
> 2. task-printing depends on
> 	lpr | task-lprng-printing | task-cups-printing | task-...
>    and above packages are optional (except of lpr)
>    and conflicts between themselves.

regards,
	junichi

--