Re: Usage of debconf from init scripts

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 07:28:22PM +0200, Stefan Hornburg wrote:

> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > >
> > > This works fine, but I get the message
> > >
> > > sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
> > >
> > > Is their a way to get around this ?
> >
> > Don't do it.
>
> Why not (pointer to docs would suffice) ?

There has been some discussion on this (using debconf as a registry, rather
than just to ask the user questions for configuration) list in the past:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0001/threads.html#00043

For one thing, if the debconf database gets wiped out, all packages using
debconf this way will break (sometimes in very obnoxious ways, such as upon
reboot).  If debconf is used correctly, the user will just be prompted for
configuration info again.

--
 - mdz