Re: ITP: inetdconf

Peter Makholm schrieb:
> Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> writes:

> > Optionally (but desirable) write preinstalls and preremove
> > scripts that convert from / to inetd.conf, in order to preserve
> > the config across inetd switches.
>
> Nahh. inetd.conf is the greatest common subset of all the existing
> inetd-implementation. It would be better if the translation went from
> and to (at least) a least superset of all implementations.

Ok, but I would just let the user do it if it is really that
much work. (It was simpler for msyslog, don't know about
syslog-ng).

> And then have the single package translate from this format to
> something there own inetd-implementation understands. And then they
> will just ignore options they don't understands. (Gracefully
> degradation)

The problem with having an update-inetd that know all formats in
a common package is the coordination. If one package changes,
the new update-inetd must be there before it can be installed.
I'd avoid this if possible.

ciao, 2ri
--
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned
in school.                              -- A. Einstein