Re: debian-keyring, what's happened?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:44:49PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > James, you should find someone else to help with keyring maintenance
> > and accepting new people, AFAIK you're the only one doing all that
> > stuff right now.
>
> Gee... _thanks Josip_!  I *never* could have worked that one out for
> myself.  I'm so glad you're around to tell me these completely
> non-obvious things!

As always, you don't lack sarcasm.

> o) It's not just a matter of volunteering for help and like magic
>    useful volunteers appear.  There's the problem that more often than
>    not, when it actually comes down to doing stuff the throngs of
>    volunteers seem to melt faster than butter on a hot cake.  The
>    security team, the ftp team and the new new-maintainer team can all
>    relate stories of one or more volunteers who signed up and then did
>    absolutely nothing.
>
>    This a) clutters up the team with dead weight lessing the chances
>    of further volunteers, and b) wastes the time spent (if any) on
>    training them.

You only list the bad experiences -- what about drow and mstone in security
team, or ibid and omnic in the FTP team (perhaps there are others I didn't
notice, excuse me if I forgot you)? I see them doing their tasks fine. And
their work helps efficiency of the whole team, and in turn, helps all Debian
developers.

I can see how unmaintained accounts which are in groups that have some
important permissions can be potentially harmful; but other than that
inactivity of some members doesn't seem detrimental. It doesn't stop other
members from contributing, in some cases, on the contrary, it can urge the
other members to do more.

> o) This is the keyring we're talking about, it's not like I can just
>    accept any developer who volunteers.

Of all 550 developers, there must be someone that you can trust with such a
responsibility and who are willing to volunteer.

> PS: Oh, and BTW, I'm _not_ the only one doing all the keyring stuff.
>     Brendan O'Dea in a startlingly out of fashion way, instead of
>     bitching and moaning, sat down and wrote (+maintains) the stuff
>     behind the keyring.debian.org keyserver.  By doing this he single
>     handedly reduced the amount of work I have to do for trivial
>     updates and the amount of time people have to wait for them to be
>     processed.

That's great.

BTW is he behind keyring-maint@d.o address, too? I'd like to list his name
on http://www.debian.org/intro/organization page.