Re: [BALLOT] Social Contract Change Amendment

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 11:44:41AM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> So how do I vote to leave everything alone and not fool with it?

"Further discussion".  Which is, IMO, the only way to keep this precedent
of one person having the power to change the constitution as he sees fit
without a vote (and without redress) from being allowed to continue.

It seems pretty clear that Wichert either supports this or lacks the
backbone to do anything about it.  In either event, my dissatisfaction
with his unwillingness to act in support of the constitution will reflect
in my vote for the next DPL election.

We went through a lot of effort passing the constitution and we clearly
have an ambiguity - complete with a GR to resolve it.  Our secretary has
chosen to ignore the proposal to fix the problem and instead fabricate his
own unconstitutional requirements for John's proposal.  In addition, he
has essentially stacked the ballot against John's proposal.  This is an
alarming precedent which I simply cannot ignore.

I'm pretty sure John's GR wouldn't pass anyway (it certainly wouldn't get
my vote at this point) but it certainly looks as if the secretary has
chosen to manipulate an unpopular GR vote to ensure it does not pass (and
indeed, may never see the vote its seconds earned it!)  The only redress
we have is another GR - which Darren has full control over.  Unless the
DPL chooses to intervene and appoint a new secretary, which seems woefully
unlikely.

So essentially, further discussion is the ONLY way at this point to keep
from changing anything.  Any other vote is certain to change something, be
it the constitution's enforcement (or lack of) or passing of either John's
or Anthony's proposals.  The procedure employed here worries me a hell of
a lot more than what we're voting on.

FWIW, Darren said last night he opted not to vote on Manoj's proposal to
fix the constitution's language because the non-free thing has been
delayed long enough and he wanted to get that one over with.  So we'll
just short-circuit the process unless enough people have a problem with
it.

<wichert> solaris is bsd, so it should work
* Espy takes wichert's crack pipe away