Offtopic: Re: FW: Firewall Project

Offtopic, very much so.  But the answer is, it's totally suitable...
and commericial Linux based solutions exist, if they don't want to roll their own
(for liability reasons, they might not).  Try www.watchguard.com for one
such answer.

please follow up via email... this list is not the right forum for this.

Seth

The "technical" leadership at my wife's work are back-pedalling from
using a Linux firewall between an AS/400 system and remotely-connected
PC's based on the following argument:

> To all Network Administrators:
>
> Problem: AS/400 can only communicate with active packets to and from the
> client. Any type of passive packet exchange will result in a loss of
> connectivity and invoke a Winsock error.
>
> Solution: Use an active firewall scheme

This "active" firewall will most likely consist of a windows-based
solution.

Can anyone comment on why Linux would be unsuitable for firewall use
in this configuration?

Thanks,

-Brent