Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 03:27:12AM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> Any user who has a legitimate reason to run ifconfig is a system
> administrator, and thus should have /sbin and /usr/sbin in his path.

Facilities like /etc/login.defs do discriminate to this fine degree.

They know two kinds of user, the ordinary kind and root.

They set the path accordingly.

With growing attention on capabilities, et al, are we going to tell all
Debian users that we only support system administrators who have root?
This seems short-sighted and contrary to trends in Unix system
administration.

> A user who is running ifconfig out of curiosity is not a systems
> administrator, and does not need to have it in his path.

How do you define curiosity?  Running commands at random, or trying to
diagnose a problem so as to send an intelligent problem report to the
responsible personnel?

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                |     emacs is always overkill.