Re: How many CDs in potato?

Steve Bowman wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 01:01:49PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > The strange part is that _some_ contrib packages are scattered
> > across the 3 CDs, but not all of the packages.  For example, lyx
> > is _not_ there.  Only 83 packages are included:
>
> I think you'll find that the ones that are missing depend on non-free.
> Lyx for example depends on libforms0.89 .  Apt is used by debian-cd to
> set up the build and apt doesn't like broken dependencies.
>
> Steve

There will be some broken dependencies anyway if one uses the
main 1st CD instead of the main+non-US/main CD.

Without going into the debate of whether Debian should not
promote contrib software that depends on non-free, it might be
worse to pass off the striped-down contrib as the real one.  I
hope there's a very visible note somewhere telling users that the
contrib section included for their convenience is incomplete.

I guess I'll see when my CDs arrive (which I just ordered).

Peter