Re: X with wdm capable of selecting host at login

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

>     esoR> # /etc/init.d/wdm stop # X -indirect localhost
>
>     esoR> and I get an X background with a mouse cursor but no wdm
>     esoR> panel. I, once again, assume that this is the correct
>     esoR> behavior. So I am now thinking, do I pass these options to X
>     esoR> via the /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers file? If so the syntax is
>     esoR> beyond me at the moment. I would like to think that I am not
>     esoR> as dumb as a bag of hammers but facts tend to implicate me
>     esoR> as so being :-/
>
> Oh, sorry, I must have read that too fast, I though you said that the
> above command worked.
>
> Oh, I see, you have stopped the wdm server... Of course X is not going
> to be able to talk to the display manager on localhost if you just
> killed the display manager...
>
> I think you want to reconfigure wdm so it doesn't start the X server
> automatically (I use gdm, sorry I can't remember how to do it on wdm,
> except I know it is very simple), then the above X command will work
> if wdm is running at the time.
>
> Another command you might find of some use is
>
> X -query remotehost.com.au

Well, actually in addition to what I mentionned in the previous mail
(repeated here for convenience):

  Install also xdm, or get the "chooser" executable from xdm.

  In /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config, add:

    ! Use our chooser
    DisplayManager*chooser:		<path-to-chooser>

You need to tell wdm to stop managing the local display (strip the "#0
local /usr/bin/X11" line from /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers).

Restart wdm.

Run "X -indirect localhost".

Eventually, use the mentionned script to do this via the inittab.

Phil.