Re: Proposal new source archive format

Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> Er, you have to list _all_ files, upstream or not. Notice that .diff.gz
> is currently listed in .dsc files.

The patch-files are inside the debian diff, which is also listed in the
.dsc but is special.

> I'm confused. First you say the .dsc file contains the file list and
> unpack instructions. Then you say debian/sources does. So which?

Stuff is copied from debian/sources when the .dsc is made.

> Also, it seems to me you need to go into some detail about how the .dsc
> file itself would looks, since it sounds like it would need to look like
> some combination of debian/sources and how it looks now.

Indeed.

> That's nearly as bad a name as the existing debian/files[1]; could you find
> something more descriptive?

Any suggestions? The thought of using a debian/status/ subdir and
putting files, substvars, etc. in there occured to me but I figured it
would break all debian/rules clean targets..

> I don't understand how one is supposed to get from an unpacked and yet
> pristine "original upstram form" package to a debianized package. You
> use dpkg-patch clearly, but what file does it read? Not debian/sources, it
> would seem, since that file by definition wouldn't exist in this
> pristine state.

Not that difficult:
* unpack tars
* apply debian diff, which includes all the other patches

> Why do you delay applying all patches until this state? That seems
> rather different than how we do things now, it sounds as if you won't be
> working in a fully patched and debianized tree at all, ever, if the
> patches are not applied until build time.

Lets make it a flag then.

> Woah. What's this debian/patches stuff? Where do these patches come
> from and how are they stored in the archive and in the .dsc file? I think
> some details are missing here.

It's inside the debianization diff, debian/patches/ is just the subdir
I put them in for the example, they could be anywhere.

> Seems like vim is a rather bad example since it has debian/ in upstream.

It doesn't.

> I assume a more typical package would also have one of these two:
>
> 		debian tar vim-debian.tar.gz
> 		debian patch vim-debian.diff.gz

This doesn't work, the debian.diff needs to be implicit or you will
have a chicken-and-egg problem.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |